So Davey is growing up. It's happening faster than I can believe and it makes me equal parts sad and overjoyed. Today we went to Sunbury library and he had to pee while we were there, naturally. So I walk with him into the restroom and he adamantly tells me, "I'll do it all by myself Mommy. I can do it." I shrug that off. haha please child, I think... you can't possible pee without MY help. I disagree openly and say, "Buddy just leave the stall door open so I can help." He sternly says, "No Mommy I can do it all by myself." No hesitation or timidness at all, just get the heck out of my way lady, I got this. I was so proud but confused. He doesn't need me to lift the seat? Doesn't need me to lock the door? Doesn't need me to pull up his underpants? Flush the toilet? Unlock the door? Kid, c'mon you need me for something! He didn't. I stood outside the stall door with a skeptical and amused look on my face and felt proud and kinda awkward. For the first time in his life, Davey didn't need my help in a public restroom. Wow. And he did great. And he pulled up his pants and he flushed the toilet and he unlocked the door and he walked to the soap. I said 'Here let me help you with the soap." He said emphatically, "No I can do it by myself Mommy." And he did that too. I stood there amazed and proud of my son's ability to do all these things for himself, by himself. For almost four years public restrooms have been a battle and a frustration (where's the changing table? this changing table is disgusting! poop up his back. poop up his front. I'm out of diapers or out of wipes. yep I'm changing my three-year-old's diaper, no he's not potty trained, stop staring and mind your business. the toilet is too high for him. the sink is too high for him. the stall is too small for both of us. he's touching everything, now his hands are in his mouth. the list goes on...) Standing there doing nothing felt like I had graduated from something. It was a little freedom for me and it was a little freedom for him and it tugged at my heart alot.

Now its time to buy him that urinal he keeps asking for :)
ReplyDeleteOH, Crystal! This made me smile and want to cry! On the first day of kinder this year, I walked Jack to his room. Now, I'm yelling at him as he walks in and he doesn't really turn around : "I LOVE YOU! STAY IN SCHOOL! SAY NO TO DRUGS! BYE! LOVE YOU! JACK! JACK! LOVE YOU! DO YOUR BEST! JACK!"
ReplyDeleteLOL Hol oh that's funny and true! I can see you saying that :) :) :) I can't imagine how tough to see Jack sitting in a big classroom with his peers...time soars so fast.
ReplyDeleteWow this one really got my heart.
ReplyDeleteThis is great Crys!
ReplyDelete