Before I share how much fun my son had at his first sleepover away from home... I'm going to brag about my Supermom friend Laura who hosted the sleepover. Laura and I met two years ago at storytime in the library with our boys and I wanted to be her friend immediately. I'd been living in Ohio for about one month...it was during the hell of winter and I'd just found out I was pregnant...so obviously no more red wine (to soothe my angst), no more hot caffeinated coffee in the mornings (which is what I really craved since moving to Alaska, I mean Ohio), and it goes without saying that I was a thousand miles from my family and friends. So when I first met Laura and her two sons, one of whom was Davey's age, I had to work hard to play it cool. You see I was lonely crazy girl. After just a few minutes of small talk, I wanted to tell her she was my new BFF. I was thinking 'I like you a lot! Our boys will be total buds!' But it's a prudent dance making friends in your 30s. I could've very easily spooked this poor girl right there in the library... there's nothing weirder than a hyper stranger asking for your phone number and planning playdates right away with your kids. Lucky for me after she and I talked a while, she sweetly exchanged numbers with me and offered for us get together. That's when
The North Pole Ohio started to get a little better for me... at the start of our friendship. Two years later, not only have our oldest boys become total buds, they're also in the same preschool class. And Laura has become like a sister to me. She now has three boys and I have two and we get all five of them together for playdates as often as possible.
When she called this week to ask Davey if he'd like to have his first official sleepover at their house... you could say Davey was a tad excited. One second he was normal and the next he was literally running, leaping, yelling, skipping, big-eyed, happy hyper boy. I guess he thought it was a good idea. I was excited for him too but I kind of expected he might get homesick...he's only four years old. I remember a few sleepovers when I was young that I was ready to get back home when it was time to sleep or when I woke in the middle of the night. Not this little man of mine. From the time I dropped him off, through the entire night and even the next morning... David Tre had a Blast. In fact, the stinker even threw a giant fit when it was finally time to come home the next day! It was really a fantastic experience for him and made big Dave and I realize how mature our firstborn baby is becoming. And my friend Laura just amazes me. Fearlessly, she took care of her three boys and my oldest for an entire day almost entirely by herself... she is one of those Supermom friends of mine that unknowingly teaches me a million things I didn't know about how to be amazing. Also, she texted me these fantastic pics throughout the evening and the next morning...
 |
| David Tre (left) eating dinner with Graham (center) and his younger brother Michael |
 |
| Close to bedtime, David is reaching into his sleepover bag pulling out his stuffed animal friends and his pajamas. |
 |
| Boys are snuggled up and David is sharing his Tooter the Turtle with Graham. |
 |
| Graham is realizing now that his buddy Davey is sorta a bed hog. |
 |
| The next morning...brushing teeth |
 |
| Smiley and eating at the breakfast table |
 |
| more fun playtime |
 |
| And I think this picture captures it all...His first sleepover was such a big success |
Crys, Love your pics & post and YES, how wonderful that the Lord had his hand in ya finding the perfect home close to Laura & her family. Love you, Mom/NiNi
ReplyDeleteI love these photos!!! Awesome mom friends are such a blessing!
ReplyDeleteWhat Crystal didn't know at the time was that I was just excited to find her as she was to find me, during our first encounter at the library I overheard her say she just moved here from Texas and I was like SCORE!! You don't have any friends yet! I will be your friend!!! I want a friend!!! Play it cool Laura!! We are so glad to have your family in our lives it is truly a blessing to us! So nice to have someone so close by that goes through all the things I am going through now. Also it's wonderful to have your boys as my boys best friends! They are such good kids and I am so happy to have their good influences in my boys lives! Honestly Davey was such a sweetheart to have for Grahams first sleepover! Super helpful and cute!
ReplyDeleteMom you're so right! :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteHolley (another amazing Supermom friend I love) yep...they so are! Miss you!!
Laura haha great story! So happy y'all live a mile away and our families are great friends!!