Friday, August 22, 2014

Canoeing with the Monkey

 

Last Friday Davey and I made the 45 mile drive up SR3 to Loudonville on the edge of Mohican State Park (a Mazza family favorite).  We attempted to coax mommy into coming on the trip as well, and bringing the Oakman.   But being the smart, and never forgetting mommy she is, she figured the Oak would be a disaster on this new adventure.  Especially considering I think not a single one of us had been canoeing in our lives.   Well that is assuming Davey didn't lie on his canoeing application :)  The drive up is quite pretty, at times what you would expect with rolling Ohio farm hills (like what you saw in Shawshank Redemption (because that's the area it was shot near), and other times its quite hilly with tall cliffs and trees.   The river that we would canoe down went through this cliffs and trees area.   In all the trip would be roughly 7-7.5 miles long.   I am not going to lie, I was a bit worried that it might make for a long day, especially since Davey wasn't going to do much work. Below are the pictures of our wonderful adventure.
 
 
 
It started out finding him the appropriate lifejacket and paddle/oar.   Turns out, like an hour later, I somehow realized I grabbed one for a kid 50-90 lbs.   But whatever, he looked pretty badass in it so who cares.  
 
 
I sat in the back, and Monkey boy up front, and he spent lots of time enjoying the view as I paddled my ass off in back to keep us straight :)
 

There is no way I would let him canoe without attempting to paddle the boat a bit, here is the video proof that he tried, and really wasn't bad.
 


I could really care less that he wasn't great at it, he was trying, and he looked damn cute too!


Occasionally Davey would walk to the back, not realizing the laws of weight distribution or balance on the way back, but we managed.   Its a lot easier knowing what he is trying to do, and weighing 160 pounds more than him :)

Doing stuff is hard, and Davey realized what the extra floaty on the back of his jacket was there for....
 

Getting a little artistic, look at Christopher Columbus in the front :)
 

This is why he wasn't the best paddler, his motion started way up here, and eventually ended in the water :)
 

Mommy packed us a full lunch with delicious sandwiches, fruit, snacks, drinks, and of course, TWIZZIES!!!
 
 

"Hey man, my union mandates a 15 min twizzie break every hour"
 

Back to work!
 

Joggle enjoying the view
 

I'm catching a break while Monkey works, errr, Monkey hits the water with the paddle
 
 
 

Paddle in the boat, daddy is back on the clock
 

Chilling while we are floating.  At this point, I mentioned to Davey that he had to be careful so he didn't fall over the edge of the canoe and into the water.   Knowing it was maybe... maybe 3' deep, I wasn't too worried.   Davey, completing Tadpole swimming lessons and knowing he had a lifejacket on told me 'its ok, I know how to float'   Fair enough
 

Yet.... he moved back off the edge :)
 

Monkey and me.  
 

I think this is where he realized he had to pee.


Davey is now looking for a good spot to pee... we did find one, after he suggested peeing in the boat, which would have been a poor choice.
 

Time for a little refresher
 

Finally getting closer to the landing where we turn in our canoe, and go home after a great day.
In total it was almost 3 hours we spent out there.   Its pretty neat, because there are lots of campgrounds, little restaurants, bars, and mini-stores that sell stuff you may have forgotten or ran of of along the way.   Davey and I had a full stock of food and water, so we were set.  We listened to music and talked a lot.   Every chance Davey got, he talked to other people about how his friend Eddie is an elephant, and he is having his special 4th birthday soon.   Davey and I are excited to take Mommy and Oakley out canoeing very soon (like very very soon).  We want to show them all the sights and the fun little trip down the river.... heck, maybe we will try the 15mi trip next time :)
 

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love the ones of Davey looking into the scenery :)
    Love, Auntie Colie

    ReplyDelete