Monday, April 28, 2014

Oakley signed!

I'm giddy over this. Oakley successfully did his first sign language today. He signed 'mommy' while he was sitting on the floor looking up at me. The sign for mommy is a wide open hand and you tap your thumb to your chin a couple times. I've been signing mommy to him for months. This afternoon he was getting fussy on the floor and wanted me to pick him up. I was sitting on the couch watching Dave's news and I heard Oak whine a bit so I looked down at him and then he opened his little hand, fingers wide and brought it to his chin twice. I freaked out, nearly jumped out of my skin I was so excited. It's so cool to see an infant communicate with sign language. They first seem like these little blobs that don't understand anything except using ear-piercing screams to get their way, and then suddenly they bust out with sign language. We've also been working on signing "more" "all done" "hungry" and "daddy". I should teach him the sign for "momma gonna take a nap so silence please".

3 comments:

  1. You always do an amazing job teaching the boys new things. If the Oakman wasn't so stubborn he would just say 'ma ma'

    ReplyDelete